Pride of ownership in your home doesn’t stop where its walls begin and end. From the front curb to your lot lines, your new lawn echoes your commitment to this investment and the statement it makes. Whether you inherited a less-than-stellar lawn or you’re starting with bare soil after new construction, there’s no better time to get your lawn on track. Understanding the differences of sod versus seed sets a course for the lush, vibrant lawn you aspire to grow. When planning your landscaping you will need to choose between grass seed or sod, and here are arguments in favor and against Sod. We would like to help you make an informed decision, with all the information you will need to know about sod installation.
What is Sod?
Sod or turf is grass and the part of the soil beneath it held together by its roots or another piece of thin material. In both residential and commercial applications sod is used to instantly transform the look and feel of the landscaping while increasing the value of the property. Common uses include golf courses, lawns for businesses, homes, schools, and recreational fields. Some of the benefits of professional sod installation include erosion control on slopes and in new construction. Sod enhances water and air quality and prevents floods due to improved drainage.
- Speed – Sod provides immediate cover and stabilization. Sod can help control the velocity and direction of storm runoff and enhance drainage in areas where grass seed would typically be washed away. Sod prevents erosion of exposed soil.
- Flexibility – As long as the ground is not frozen sod can be planted at any time of year, unlike seed which has a limited window when temperatures are not too hot or too cold.
- Reliability – Sod installation is already established, grass seed can easily dry out and blow or wash away.
- Hardiness – Most varieties of sod are hard and when properly installed will take root quickly compared to seed. Sod requires daily watering but has a reduced risk of failure.
- Time-savings – In two or three weeks after the sod has been laid and been watered properly; you can walk, run, or play on it.
- Cost – Sod is much more expensive than grass seed and may be cost-prohibitive for large areas.
- Installation – High labor expense. Improper installation leads to poor rooting, visible seams and failed, unsightly lawns. Effective results require trained professionals.
- Restricted Grass Choices – Sod limits you to grass varieties sod farmers choose. This means fewer choices matched to your unique home and lawn goals. Take time to seek out farmers who grow premium, top-performing grasses.
- Replacement – Random sections of sod may not take root. This will require removal and replacement of the bad sections to maintain the lush lawn you want.
Whether you chose to establish your new lawn from sod or seed, protect your investment by keeping your lawn in peak condition. Nurture your grass with regular fertilization, wise and proper mowing. Experienced professionals can help you make the right choice for your home or business.
Contact us (513) 550-7782 for more information -or- to setup an free consultation!
About D2 Landscaping & Outdoor
D2 Landscaping is one of the fastest-growing landscaping company in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. We are a local and family-owned landscaping company offering a variety of landscape services, from new installations and complete renovations, to simple improvements. Whether you want to add a few trees and shrubs to compliment your existing landscape, or a complete makeover with outdoor living areas, our team can transform your outdoor dreams into reality. We pride ourselves in offering timely and professional services with highly trained personnel. We use superior advanced products along with precise installation techniques to guarantee your perfect vision. Our high level of standards continue to produce the best quality product resulting in glowing client testimonials, referrals, and customer loyalty.
>> Learn More